Lined Lampshade Making WorkshopMade By Me Workshop
Make your own double-sided drum lampshade with Kate Malfroy from The Lampshade Workroom with your choice of fabrics inside and out!
In this engaging workshop, you will learn how to create your own custom lined lampshade from start to finish. Say goodbye to sewing and hello to modern lampshade making techniques using professional-grade supplies. The highlight of this class is the creation of a fabulous lined lampshade that will add a touch of elegance to any space. Not only will you be able to bring your creation home, but you will also gain a thorough grounding in the craft of modern lampshade making.
Our talented guest instructor, Kate, will guide you step by step through the shade-making process, sharing numerous tricks and tips of the trade. So don't worry if you're new to lampshade making – we're here to make this experience as enjoyable as possible for you.
This workshop is all about unleashing your creativity, so BYO fabrics x2, it's entirely your choice as to what design of fabric you place on the inner and outer. There's no rules about this - just your own personal taste. Mismatching patterns work, as do stripes, plains or geometrics. We highly recommend lightweight materials such as cotton, poly-cotton mix, or linen. Please avoid loose, open, coarse weave; upholstery weight; slinky, sheer or stretchy fabrics.
Lined shades have fabric on both the outside and inside of the shade. The effect when lit is different to other shades, because the light does not shine through the walls of the shade, but is cast outwards, up and down from the top and bottom of the shade. What you choose to line the shade with will be very well lit, and can either be a pattern or plain. Some shades made with shiny / metallic linings create really spectacular glowing results!
We understand that you may want to turn this into a pair or try out a different style. That's why take-home lampshade kits will be available for purchase, so you can continue your lampshade making journey at home.
To keep your energy levels up, we provide tea, coffee, and some treats throughout the workshop. However, feel free to bring along your own drinks and party treats for an extra special occasion.
Join us in our lovely workshop space in St Peters, Sydney, and experience the joy of creating your own bespoke lampshade. Not only will you learn a new skill, but you'll also have the opportunity to connect with other crafters and lampshade making enthusiasts. Don't miss out on the chance to take home a beautiful finished piece that reflects your own personal style.
What you get:
All the supplies are included in the workshop fee (except fabric) including professional quality adhesive backings, frames, and tools
You'll be making a drum shade 35cm diameter x 25cm high, which can be used as either a table, floor or pendant lamp
We have coffee and tea making facilities and some treats to get you through the session, if you prefer a barista-made coffee, pop into Aslan Cafe (just up the road) before the workshop.
What you need to bring with you:
- You will need to bring 2 pieces of fabric - one for inner and one for outer each measuring 110cm x 50cm. It is essential that you bring your fabrics cut to these sizes before arriving (we don't have time or space to deal with meterage of fabric)
- PATTERN or PLAIN: It's entirely your choice as to what design of fabric you place on the inner and outer. There's no rules about this - just your own personal taste. Mismatching patterns work, as do stripes / plains / geometrics.
- The TYPE of fabric is MUCH more important than patterns or plain! DO choose lightweight or midweight, cotton, or poly-cotton mix; linen or any other lightweight natural fibres, IE: quilting fabric is IDEAL!
- DO NOT choose loose, open, coarse weave; upholstery weight; slinky, sheer or stretchy
- Your favourite pair of "good fabric scissors" (don't worry if you don't have any - there'll be spares available)
- An old credit, or store loyalty card (something that doesn't matter if it gets a bit bent)
- Craft Scissors (any old scissors - don't have to be sharp)
Made by Me Workshop
100A May Street St Peters NSW 2044
No prior knowlegde, or skills are required - this is Lampshade Making 1.02 which is just slightly more involved than our Intro to Lampshade Making workshop (Tip: Choose the Intro to Lampshade Making Workshop run in the morning of the same day if you want to learn all the skills before making this lined shade)
Please note that a reasonable degree of physical dexterity with your hands is required for this workshop. Accurate scissor cutting and the ability to work in a standing position are recommended but not essential.